Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Mommy Book

I had been looking for something to read ever since my baby daughter came home from the hospital just before Christmas, and I had trolled through my bookshelves but nothing really jumped out at me. In those early weeks, I was consumed by the festivities of the holiday season and adjusting to our new life as a family of four.

In January, I brushed up on newborn care by re-reading What To Expect in the First Year, the dog-eared bible at on my bedside table. Again I searched for a title to inspire me, without success. I didn't have long stretches of time to curl up with a book, so I caught up on the October, November, December and January issues of Vanity Fair magazine.

And now I have my new book, not really by choice because it's a gift from a friend (who is single and male!), but I'm excited. I always make a point of reading books that are given to me; it would be rude not to.

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother


How pertinent: I was raised "the Chinese way" and now, having enrolled my pre-schooler daughter in a local pre-school that teaches "the Chinese way" -- in Chinese only, no less -- I am well on the way to raising my own children this way.

My thoughts before I begin: I like Amy Chua! Like many of my friends, I received many forwarded emails and commentaries about this Tiger Mom, and had even read her own daughter's defense of her mother in an article published in the New York Times. I agree with Amy Chua in principle and am delighted that her daughter sounds like the bright, humorous future contributor-to-society person I hope my own daughters will become. And what really drew me to Amy Chua's camp was seeing her on The Joy Behar Show (I love Joy!) -- this Tiger Mom is articulate, charming, beautiful and youthful.

I'll let you know what I think after I finish the book.

1 comment:

  1. These days publish new age book is getting ubiquity among the journalists. Since it contains numerous points of interest. You'll be able to grant hunt for more information.

    ReplyDelete