Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Other Barney, Not the Purple One

When my most recent Amazon delivery arrived, I eagerly cracked open Tina Fey's Bossypants.

Bossypants


The book is more musings than memoir, although it does include slices of and anecdotes from the author's childhood, career and family life. There are even a couple of chapters devoted to her Sarah Palin skits for Saturday Night Live, including the full script of the first skit, the joint announcement of Sarah Palin and Hilary Clinton.

I am a big fan of 30 Rock and this book is a wonderful showcase of that style of humor. Very Tina. Highly recommended for an easy and very enjoyable summer read.

After finishing Bossypants, I had planned to move onto State of Wonder, the other book that arrived in the same delivery. But I got sidetracked by a book given to my husband by his "bro":

The Bro Code


With Barney staring me down on the cover like that, how could I turn away?

I watched full seasons of How I Met Your Mother on DVD while I was pregnant with my younger daughter. Like the 10 seasons of Friends I went through with my first pregnancy, I believe in happy TV when pregnant (exception: Dexter). Neil Patrick Harris' character Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother is like Jeremy Piven's Ari Gold on Entourage. Both have just the right balance of cool/uncool to be endearing and attractive.

The Bro Code is "written by Barney Stinson", and I had my first out-loud guffaw even before page one: the book is dedicated "To Me, the best bro I know". Completely on character, this book is a great companion piece if you're a fan of the TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment